When it comes to social media, everyone talks about the major networks – Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn.
But there are other social sites out there that can drive traffic to your website or blog content, particularly social bookmarking sites.
While you might know about the major social bookmarking sites, you may not know about the ones just for those in the design niche! The following are five social bookmarking networks that are great for design related content and news.
We also included traffic statistics in case you are deciding which one you want to submit your own content to!
Domain Authority: 89
US Traffic in March 2012: 48,122
Alexa Rank (Global): 8,985
DesignFloat is a social bookmarking site dedicated to the design industry.
Here, you can submit articles, news, and tips on topics such as graphic design, identity & branding, programming, promos, photography, tutorials, and web design. You can keep up with the latest news submitted to the site by subscribing via RSS for all submissions or you can go to the individual category pages and click on the Subscribe option in the right sidebar for RSS feeds of those categories.
If you have a blog about design, you can add their voting button to your website by grabbing the code on their Tools page.
Domain Authority: 76
US Traffic in March 2012: 30,581
Alexa Rank (Global): 21,336
Designbump is a place for members to share, save, vote on, and discover the best design related links from around the web. Any design-related articles, tutorials, or freebies are accepted. You can keep up with the latest news submitted to the site by subscribing via RSS.
Domain Authority: 70
US Traffic in March 2012: 8,144
Alexa Rank (Global): 14,735
Designmoo is a community for sharing free design resources including PSDs, vectors, textures, patterns, fonts, and more.
Other submission categories include web layouts, UI elements, icons, email newsletter layouts, and illustrations.
You can keep up with the latest submissions by subscribing via RSS to all submissions or the featured category for top submissions. You can also go to the individual category pages and click on the orange RSS icon to get feeds for just those categories.
The Web Blend
Domain Authority: 67
US Traffic in March 2012: 3,433
Alexa Rank (Global): 60,904
The Web Blend is a community for designers, developers, and tech junkies for sharing the latest in web related news and trends.
Categories include advertising, Apple, design, development, freebies, identity, inspiration, interviews, photography, tutorials, typography, and WordPress.
You can keep up with the latest submissions by subscribing via RSS to all submissions or go to the individual category pages and click on the orange RSS icon to get feeds for just those categories. If you have a blog about web related news and trends, you can add their voting button to your website by grabbing the code from their Buttons page.
Domain Authority: 61
US Traffic in March 2012: 2,522
Alexa Rank (Global): 98,227
Design:Related isn’t just a run of the mill social bookmarking and voting site, but a place where the designing community can curate portfolios and inspiration.
It is currently in private beta only, so you have to request an invite to join. As a member, you can submit news articles on a variety of categories from advertising to video. You can keep up with the latest submissions by subscribing via RSS to featured articles, inspirations, news, and portfolios.
General Social Bookmarking Sites with Design Categories
While the above listed networks are great for bonding with the design community only, don’t forget about the main social bookmarking sites when it comes to design related news and promotion.
- StumbleUpon has interest sections on design including graphic design, web design, and more. To find other particular interests, take the base URL for interests (http://www.stumbleupon.com/interest/topic) and replace topic with your interest. Multiple keywords should be separated with a dash.
- Delicious has a category for art & design where you can see the latest “stacks” (Delicious’ version of Pinterest-like boards) on design.
- Digg doesn’t have a specific category for design. If you want to the see the most popular articles on design, you just have to perform a search for design and sort it by most dugg or most recent.
- Reddit has subreddits for design related topics including graphic design, web design, visualization, and Typography.
What social bookmarking networks do you use to discover and share d news, articles, and inspiration in the design niche?
Latest posts by Kristi Hines (see all)
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Your Startup Listed Online - March 15, 2016
- Everything You Need to Know to Promote Your Business with Facebook Offers - April 15, 2013
- 10 Examples and 3 Tools: How to Win with New Rules for Facebook Timeline Covers - April 10, 2013