Disclosure: This content is reader-supported, which means if you click on some of our links that we may earn a commission.
With over 25 million registered users, Rocket Lawyer is one of the most reputable online legal services on the market today. The company prides itself on easily connecting clients with any form of legal assistance they need—business formation, registered agent services, or generators legal aid. It also offers users access to highly experienced, real-world attorneys for accurate legal guidance. Whether you want to get married, property, or start a business, you can always trust Rocket Lawyer for reliable and prompt legal assistance.
Comparing Rocket Lawyer to the Best Online Legal Services
Rocket Lawyer provides individuals and business owners several ways to create legal documents and get legal advice fast. You get quick access to attorneys and their advice through phone, email, or chat—or, if need be, with an actual lawyer to talk to and consult on your matters.
It’s why Rocket Lawyer is #1 on our rankings for the best online legal services. We think it’ll make an excellent choice for most individuals thanks to the fact it offers both personal and business legal aid, as well as a diverse range of resources for each client.
However, Rocket Lawyer isn’t the only option to consider. Based on our own experiences with online legal services and market research, we compiled a list of the six best online legal services that hours your time. See all of our top picks to find your best match.
Rocket Lawyer: The Good and The Bad
- User-Friendly: Rocket Lawyer is very simple to use, especially for those who aren’t well-versed in the law. You can select the form you wish to create, answer a series of questions, and the system will generate the required legal documents automatically. What’s more, all your documents are then professionally reviewed by an attorney who will review and edit the necessary provisions. Signing finished documents is simple and quick and can be downloaded as a PDF or editable Word document. Also, all online legal documents are available for immediate download. So you can edit documents and e-sign without waiting for documents to arrive in the mail.
- Fast Online Legal Service: Many online legal services let you speak with the lawyer over the phone, but only a select few like Rocket Lawyer offer online Q&A. You can ask any legal question online and get a response from an experienced attorney, thanks to Rocket Lawyer’s “on-call“ attorneys. These attorneys offer accurate and reliable legal advice and come from a range of specialties, including business laws, intellectual property, and contracts. This prompt legal aid can be a significant advantage to time-strapped entrepreneurs and business owners who can’t make time to hop on a call with a lawyer.
- Intuitive Form Builder: Rocket Lawyer‘s intuitive form builder makes it incredibly easy to create custom legal documents and contracts. Users have to answer a series of questions about their business, and when they do, a series of pop-up boxes will appear on their screen, explaining to them the law in your state. This ensures your form complies with state law and holds up in court.
- Document Defense: The Document Defense feature works in sync with the intuitive form builder. If you create custom contracts on Rocket Lawyer, and the other party involved doesn’t comply with the contract terms or disputes its validity, you can get immediate legal assistance from an attorney. A lawyer will draft a demand letter on your behalf, encouraging the other party to comply with the contract terms.
- Free Trial Offer: Rocket Lawyer offers the first seven days free of cost, giving you enough time to figure out the features they offer and decide if you like their interface and service. You can also use this time to talk to a few different attorneys and find a good fit for your business—all of that without paying any money! Keep in mind that seven days is almost nothing when it comes to legal and business, so you have to act fast.
- Accessible Customer Service Hours: If you live in a time zone other than Eastern time, getting hold of customer service can be a pain. Luckily, this won’t be an issue with Rocket Lawyer‘s customer support. They are open from 9 AM Eastern time to 9 PM, which means if you live over on the Pacific coast, you can still call them till 6 PM Pacific. Additionally, the customer service representatives are highly efficient and take a genuine initiative to solve any caller’s issues. Plus, you don’t have to worry about long holding times. The longest you have to wait for is 10 minutes, which is considerably shorter than the 40-45 waiting time of other online legal services.
- Rocket Lawyer App: Although Rocket Lawyer’s website is optimized for mobile devices, its free app for Android and iPhone users is worth a mention. It downloads quickly and easily on the phone and allows you to create documents out of the office and post legal questions for advice. Many clients have praised how the app lets them access their documents wherever they are.
- Cheaper Services Available: Compared to its competitors, Rocket Lawyer’s legal services are certainly on the steeper side of the spectrum. For instance, its $39.99 monthly subscription is more expensive than LegalZoom’s $31.25, despite both services offering similar services in their packages. Rocket Lawyer’s basic LLC filing services cost $99, which is significantly more than what other online legal services like LegalZoom and Incfile charge. However, many people don’t mind the steeper price tag considering the high quality and promptness of service.
- Takes Credit Card Information During Signup: Even though Rocket Lawyer offers a seven-day free trial, it requires you to enter your credit card information to access your documents. This means you’ll be automatically charged $39.99 after the conclusion of the trial unless you remember to cancel the trial. This can be a deal-breaker for people who don’t want to submit their credit card information without being certain they want to give Rocket Lawyer a shot.
- Difficult to Isolate LLC Services: Unlike many of its competitors, RocketLaywer doesn’t offer a basic LLC package. While its packages do include LLC filing services (see below), they also include items not specific to or necessary for LLC filing, like attorney services and legal documents. If you’re simply looking for basic LLC filing, RocketLawyer may give you more than you need.
Rocket Lawyer Pricing and Options
Rocket Lawyer’s plans and services are different from the traditional approach taken by its competitors. You can choose between a $39.99 premium monthly subscription or pay for services separately.
Here’s what you get on becoming a premium member:
- Legal Documents (creating, signing, sharing, and downloading documents) — Free
- Attorney Services
Document Defense® on Rocket Lawyer documents — Free
Ask a Lawyer your legal questions — Free
30-minute consultation on every new legal matter — Free
- For Business
Affordable incorporation filing — Free for new members. 25% off thereafter (Excluding state fees)
Affordable Registered Agent service — 25%
Now let’s review the costs payable if you are a non-member:
- Legal Documents (creating, signing, sharing, and downloading documents) — $39.99 per document
- Attorney Services
Document Defense® on Rocket Lawyer documents — $9.99 per document
Ask a Lawyer your legal questions — $49.99 per question
30-minute consultation on every new legal matter — $59.99 per consultation
- For Business
Affordable incorporation filing — $99.99 (Excluding state fees)
Affordable Registered Agent service — $149.99
Rocket Lawyer LLC Services
Rocket Lawyer is a cost-effective alternative that lets you start an LLC without involving an expensive traditional lawyer.
You only have to answer a few business-related questions to get started, and Rocket Lawyer will take care of all your paperwork. The company will even file the documents on behalf of your company. Once the process is complete, you‘ll receive your hard copies via mail. You can also access your LLC documents directly from your Rocket Lawyer dashboard.
Another benefit of using Rocket Lawyer’s LLC services is the high level of expertise on offer.
You can get phone access to highly experienced LLC specialists who have previously worked with thousands of businesses. Each one of them can offer insightful and accurate legal advice to solve your problems.
The LLC information service costs $99.99, plus state-specific fees. However, you can get it for free if you sign up for Rocket Lawyer‘s premium membership. You can also use Rocket Lawyer to get your EIN—provided you pay the add-on cost of $59.99.
Rocket Lawyer Incorporation Services
Rocket Lawyer’s incorporation services are similar to its LLC services. You can use the service to form an S Corp, C Corp, or non-profit corporation.
Again, all you have to do is answer a few simple questions about your business to get started. Of course, these questions are slightly different from that of LLCs, but it’s still generalized information. Moreover, you also get access to incorporation experts at rocket lawyer, which can come in handy if you need extra help during the signup process.
Rocket Lawyer can also help you organize your new corporation’s finances. On providing the initial number of stocks you want to issue, including their initial values, and information about your corporation shareholders (their equity percentage and personal details), Rocket Lawyer will add this information accordingly on your incorporation documents.
Rocket Lawyer’s incorporation service costs $99, but you can get it for free if you sign up for the premium membership. You can decide whether you want to use Rocket Lawyer as a registered agent. This is an additional service, which we’ll discuss in more detail later.
If you choose to be taxed as an S corporation, you can have Rocket Lawyer handle your S corporation election form at $69. EIN services are available at $59.99.
Rocket Lawyer Registered Agent Services
Rocket Lawyer provides registered agent services in all 50 states. Using this service is really a no-brainer if you’re already using them to form an LLC or Corporation.
This package includes the following services:
- Keep your personal information private
- Official point of contact for tax and legal documents
- Ensuring compliance
- Acceptance and notice for any service of process
- Online access to legal notices
- Fast email notifications
The service costs $149.99 per year, but you can get it at a discounted rate of $111.99 with a Rocket Lawyer premium membership.
How Rocket Lawyer Ranks
Rocket Lawyer is definitely one of the best online legal services you can trust, making it our top choice. It offers a diverse range of business formation, document filing, and registered agent services that makes it a comprehensive solution if you’re looking for reliable legal assistance. While its pricing is slightly more expensive when compared to other services like LegalZoom and IncFile, it’s still worth it if you consider the level of expertise on the table.
Some of the best online legal services on the market in more detail to help you find the best fit for your business and budget.
- Rocket Lawyer – Best for most
- Incfile – Best for business formation
- LegalZoom – Best for flat fees and versatility
- UpCounsel – Best for complex legal needs
- Avvo – Best for free legal advice
- LegalMatch – Best for locating an attorney near you
Rocket Lawyer is definitely Crazy Egg-approved!
It’s an excellent option for people who need one-off expert legal advice or want legal documents drawn up. The premium membership plan comes with a wide range of services that can be a valuable tool for small to medium businesses. Complete with its incredible customer service and a long list of features, Rocket Lawyer easily sets itself apart from its competitors.