There’s a ton of information out there on conversion rate optimization, which makes it hard to know who to trust and who is just spewing content for the sake of garnering some views and traffic.
Conversion optimization is a big deal. It’s something that every marketer and business owner should be paying attention to whether you have an ecommerce store, a service-based business, online bookings, opt-ins and course offerings, etc.
Every point of engagement with a customer is an opportunity for a conversion, so you’ve got to make sure that every aspect of your funnel is on point.
If you’re looking to keep your edge and pick up new insights on CRO then I’ve got a list of 20 CRO experts that you should be following and paying attention to.
Oli is the co-founder and creative director for Unbounce. His organization works with marketers to help them create landing pages with off-the-charts conversions.
Oli is a frequent writer on the Unbounce blog, and claims to examined more landing pages than any other person on the planet.
Notable content from Oli:
- The 5 Essential Elements of a Winning Landing Page
- The 7 Principles of Conversion-Centered Landing Page Design
- Conversion Economics 101 – The Benefits of Landing Pages
Bryan is a well-known conversion optimization and digital marketing expert who contributes a wealth of content to various publications online. He also co-wrote Wall Street and New York Times best sellers, Call to Action, Always be Testing and Waiting for Your Cat to Bark.
Notable content from Bryan:
- Building Optimization Into Your Business Culture
- How to Prioritize Your Optimization
- When Landing Page Optimization Isn’t Enough
Brian declares himself a conversion scientist at the organization, Conversion Sciences. He is author of Your Customer Creation Equation: Unexpected Website Formulas of The Conversion Scientist. He has been published on a number of sites including Clickz, Search Engine Land and Content Marketing Institute.
Notable content from Brian:
- Take Control Of Your Visitors’ Eyes
- If Your Landing Page Could Talk, What Would It Say?
- What’s The One Thing That Keeps Searchers From Converting On Your Site?
Scott is the co-founder and CTO at Ion Interactive, a software company that providers marketers with a platform for creating and testing post-click experiences — landing pages, microsites, wizards, web apps, etc.
He is the editor over at the Chief Marketing Technologist blog and also holds the role of Program Chair at MarTech Conference.
Notable content from Scott:
- Marketing Technologies Are the Secret Weapon of Conversion Optimization
- Interactive Content: The Successor of the Landing Page
- Agile Marketing for Conversion Optimization
Jeffrey is brother to Bryan Eisenberg. CRO skills seem to run deep in the family. He’s a New York Times bestselling author (twice!) as well as public speaker.
He co-write Call to Action and Waiting for Your Cat to Bark with his brother and is a regular contributor in online publications including Forbes.com
Jeremy Smith entered the conversion optimization world after a stint in the corporate world, and a series of successful startups. His frenzy of activity as a conversion optimizer includes education (his “boot camp” series), consultation, and constant discovery.
Smith is known for his direct style, deep content, psychology/cognitive angle, and game-changing results. Mottos like “No tips. No tricks. No templates.” help people understand that CRO isn’t about gimmicks. It’s about a proven CRO methodology. Listen to Jeremy for sixty seconds, and half that time will be spent talking about data.
Smith is a contributor to Marketing Land, Unbounce, Entrepreneur, Kissmetrics, Neurosciencemarketing.com, and other notable publications.
Notable Content from Jeremy:
- Attentional Bias: Your Customers Automatically Prefer What They Already Know
- How Cognitive Biases Shape Customer Testimonials to Increase Conversions
- The Common Usability Mistakes of Mobile CRO
- Optimizing For Conversions: Value Proposition – Affecting Conversions?
Michael loves sharing and teaching on the topics of content marketing, copywriting and conversion rate optimization. Originally the founder of ContentVerve he has since joined the team at Unbounce as Senior Conversion Optimizer.
Notable content from Michael:
- How to Formulate a Smart A/B Test Hypothesis (and why they are crucial)
- What to Test – Beginners Guide to Conversion Optimization
- 10 CRO Experts Reveal Their Biggest A/B Testing Mistakes
David has long been a freelance writer as well as mentor and advisor for startups. His experience includes writer and reporter for MarketingSherpa.
Notable content from David:
- Testing and Optimization: A/B tests on landing pages, email and paid search from case studies
- Content Marketing: Measuring results, tracking ROI and generating leads
Dan is the co-founder and CEO of Optimizely, one of the most well-known A/B testing tools available on the web.
Dan is also the co-author of A/B Testing: The Most Powerful Way to Turn Clicks into Customers. He served as the Director of Analytics for the 2008 Obama presidential campaign.
Notable content from Dan:
Co-founder of Optimizely and currently holds the position of Chief Technical Officer. He has helped grow Optimizely since their launch in 2010, positioning it as the fastest-growing A/B testing platform used by companies like Salesforce, Disney and Starbucks.
Rick Perreault is also a co-founder of Unbounce and currently serves as the company’s CEO. The bulk of his career has been spent in both design and marketing, constantly up against the challenge of creating and testing landing pages.
Notable content (interviews):
- Unbounce’s Founder On How To Increase Your Landing Page Conversions – with Rick Perreault
- Video: Unbounce CEO Rick Perreault Talks About Using Content To Grow His Business
Joanna takes great pride in mastering conversion with the art of words. She is a long-time conversion-focused copywriter. Her experience has led her through projects with Intuit and Conversion Rate Experts among a variety of other agencies. She currently operates Copyhackers where she shares advice on copywriting and CRO for startups.
Notable content from Joanna:
- 6 Proven Ways to Boost the Conversion Rates of Your Call-to-Action Buttons
- 3 Excellent Ways to Make Your Landing Page Social Proof Actually Prove Something
- How You Can Write High Converting Copy… Without Actually Writing
Lance Jones is a time-tested CRO expert and is the other half of the Copyhackers team. His skills have been tapped by Adobe, Intuit, Conversion Rate Experts and Keynote. His content lives over at the Copyhackers blog with some great pieces of content even professionals can learn from.
Notable content from Lance:
- Why You Rarely See That Amazing Conversion Lift Your Testing Tool Promised
- RADically Rethink Your CTAs
- If You Think All Bullet Lists Are Created Equal This Data Will Change Your Mind
Tim Ash takes a scientific approach to conversion rate optimization based on his past as a computer and cognitive scientist. He’s used his education to develop an expertise in user-centric design, persuasion and understand the behavior of online audiences. He is the author of the best-selling book Landing Page Optimization and the CEO of SiteTuners.
Notable content from Tim:
- 5 Things You Can Do Today for Higher Conversions Tomorrow
- Can a Flat Design Lead to Increased Conversions?
- Emotional Motivators in Landing Page Optimization
Sean has a lot of firsts to his name, including being the first marketer at Dropbox, Lookout, Xobni and LogMeIn. Sean is also the CEO and founder of Qualaroo as well as the well-known GrowthHackers.com.
When he talks about conversion optimization, he often gears his messaging toward startups and new entrepreneurs.
Notable content from Sean:
- The Startup Pyramid
- Optimization Mistakes That Kill Startups
- Deconstructing Startup Growth
- Unlocking Your Company’s Growth Engine w/ Conversion Rate Optimization w/ Sean Ellis
When companies like Electronic Arts, eBay, Magento, 1-800-Flowers and even Google want to step up their marketing optimization results, they reach out to Chris. He focuses on content and marketing that builds value for the consumer and has led that charge since founding WiderFunnel. He also wrote the book You Should Test That!
While Chris doesn’t produce a wealth of content he is a prolific and highly rated speaker.
Notable content from Chris:
Peep Laja started his career as a web developer before moving on to B2B sales and ultimately discovering his love for internet marketing. He still makes websites through his agency ConversionXL, and frequently writes about CRO as well as calling other people on their B.S. in the industry.
Notable content from Peep:
- How To Persuade People Online – 17 Lesser Known Jedi Mind Tricks
- Don’t Use Automatic Image Sliders or Carousels, Ignore the Fad
- Useful Value Proposition Examples (and How to Create a Good One)
Justin was formerly the Chief Evangelist and Editor of WhichTestWon where he led a variety of editorial and training workshops that covered conversion optimization from top to bottom. He is now the Director of Optimization for DigitalMarketer.
Notable content from Justin:
- Oversized Hero & Background Imaged: Unfounded Fad or Conversion Booster?
- How to Build a Testing Culture: Justin Rondeau of Which Test Won on Marketing Smarts [Podcast]
Ryan is the founder of Idea Incubator as well as DigitalMarketer. After launching his first online business in 1999 he has built a name for himself in the digital marketing space as a prominent niche media publisher and conversion expert.
Notable content from Ryan:
- One Problem, Two Mistakes and One Big, Fat Lie about Email Marketing
- Want to Double Sales? Pull One of These 4 Levers
- Customer Value Optimization: How to Build an Unstoppable Business
Tiffany Da Silva
Tiffany was ranked in the 25 Most Influential CRO in 2015 by PPC Hero and has earned her conversion optimization chops as the Head of CRO at Shopify and Digital Strategy Director for Powered By Search. While CRO is her forte she also specializes in growth hacking and digital marketing while working with clients on SEO, SEM and strategy development.
Notable content from Tiffany:
- Discussing Conversion Rate Optimization and Web Strategy with Tiffany Da Silva
- Do You Need a Better Conversion Rate?
What do you think of the experts I’ve listed? Is there anyone else you think should make the list?