We recently published an expert Q&A on conversion optimization, and it got us to thinking: what else do the top CRO peeps say about the topic?
To find out, I trawled their blogs and, no surprise, there was some great advice.
Here are 29 of the best CRO quotes
1. “Writing won’t help sell unless it’s a little bit assertive.” – Neil Patel, Hubspot, 8 Copywriting Tips for Improving Conversions
2. “Choosing the wrong fonts can add invisible friction to your marketing.” – Roger Dooley, Neuroscience Marketing, The Wrong Font Can Kill You. Literally. Your Sales, Too.
3. “The discovery of what matters is important. If you figure it out, you know WHAT to optimize, and WHERE. One huge step closer to more winning tests with bigger impact.” – Peep Laja, ConversionXL, How to Come Up with More Winning Tests Using Data
4. “When too many options are presented, visitors typically will just click on one of the first few links available, hoping it’s what they need. If not, guess what? They split.” – Stoney deGeyter, Pole Position Marketing, Does Your Website Navigation Make Visitors Feel Like Deer in Headlights?
5. “Your customers’ journeys are their stories, NOT funnels.” – Bryan Eisenberg, BryanEisenberg.com, Increase the Persuasive Momentum of Your Conversion Funnels
6. “If your competitors are all doing X, try Y.” – Carly Stec, Hubspot, 4 Blog Conversion Optimization Tactics You’re Probably Not Doing
7. “The less barriers to entry you can throw up in the user adoption process, the higher your conversion rate can be.” – Sherice Jacob, Kissmetrics, How to Get Users to Embrace Your Offer (Without Resorting to Shady Marketing Techniques)
8. “Customer-engagement efforts are much more effective when marketers can anticipate what visitors are searching for, where they want to go next, what problems they are trying to solve, and what promotions will be of value to them.” – Jeff Fuhriman, Adobe, Using Cluster Analysis to Identify and Convert
9. “Spending money is experienced by the same parts of the brain as feelings of physical pain.” – Tim Ash, Marketing Land, Pulverizing Price Resistance To Improve Conversion Rates
10. “Knowing how to create a valid split test hypothesis will… give you a way to talk others out of bad marketing ideas.” – Brian Massey, Marketing Land, How To Generate Money-Making Test Hypotheses
11. “Your landing pages aren’t Wikipedia. Stop adding unnecessary links.” – Oli Gardner, Unbounce, 6 Things I Do to My Landing Pages When My Conversion Rates Suck
” Your landing pages aren’t Wikipedia. Stop adding unnecessary links.” via @oligardner @unbounce #CRO
12. “By optimizing for customer success, you’re more than likely optimizing for growth. And if your revenue doesn’t grow along with your customer success metrics, then you’re probably doing something wrong.” – Alex Turnbull, GrooveHQ, How We Measure and Optimize Customer Success Metricsin Our SaaS Startup
13. “Look for the elements that could yield your biggest wins, and test them first: subject line and call to action.” – Kathryn Aragon, Crazy Egg, The A/B and Cs of Email Campaign Testing
14. “If you don’t listen closely to your most valuable or ideal users and customers, you’re going to have a hard time creating relevant, valuable content.” – Jeff Fuhriman, Adobe, First Steps to Adaptive Content for Your Audience
15. “You’re never set.” – Stephen da Cambra, Invesp, The Rut That Ruins Your Conversion Rates
16. “A good first impression isn’t just about design, but also how fast that design loads.” – Tommy Walker, ConversionXL, Two Overlooked Aspects Of Your Site Design That May Be Hurting Conversions
17. “Organic leads convert better, come cheaper, and stay longer than leads generated from advertising” – Brandon Pindulic, Effin Amazing, The Anatomy of A High Converting Blog
18. “Every aspect of marketing is entirely useless unless it produces conversions.” – Jeremy Smith, Marketing Land, Want To Win Fights With Your Web Designer? Use These CRO Tactics
19. “The New Conversion Model Is About Engagement” – John Paul Mains, Marketing Land, Attract, Convert, Retain 2.0
20. “Removing page elements can be just as effective at increasing conversions as adding or tweaking elements on a page.” – Mona Elesseily, Search Engine Land, Remove Page Elements For Higher Converting Pages
21. “Instead of a one-size-fits-all philosophy, create multiple landing pages for the same call to action to suit the user’s preferences.” – Rohan Ayyar, Search Engine Journal, Is Your Landing Page Missing These Critical Conversion Factors?
22. “Poor load time is the most prevalent mobile optimization issue that I’ve seen. It’s also one of the easiest to resolve.” – Angie Schottmuller, Three Deep Marketing, Mobile Landing Page Optimization – 10 Best Practices for Success
23. “If the customer has to work for the reward, then they are more likely to appreciate and use that reward.” – Jeremy Smith, Marketing Land, Reward Framing & Its Stunning Impact On Conversion Optimization: What You Need To Know
24. “You don’t have generic problems, you have specific problems.” – Peep Laja, ConversionXL, How to Come Up with More Winning Tests Using Data
25. “Always look at the context driving your CRO strategy—don’t limit your decisions to self-contained ecosystems.” – Ritika Puri, Klientboost, 5 Conversion Optimization Rules You Need to Break
26. “If your form is not optimized, and it simply exists, you will eventually hit the wall” – Piotr Kuźniewicz, Usability Tools,How Web Form Optimization Leads To Conversion
27. “Live chat transcripts are a valuable source of qualitative customer data. They can reveal the most common questions and reservations customers have about spending money with your company.” – Giles Adam Thomas, Olark, How to use transcripts to increase conversion rates and profits
28. “Two different companies in the same industry will have different clientele with different needs and different opinions. Blindly mimicking another company without understanding that principle will waste your time and your precious traffic.” – Alison Otting, Disruptive Advertising, Don’t Believe Case Studies: Conversion Rate Optimization For Landing Pages
29. “There is no better ecommerce lead generation tool than word of mouth.” – Landon Donovan, Picreel, 5 Lead Generation Strategies that Work for Ecommerce Vendors
What’s your favorite conversion optimization tip?
These tips are a good starting point for addressing conversion optimization issues and the articles make a pretty great reading list, too. What tips would you add to this list?
Read other Crazy Egg articles by Sharon Hurley Hall.